Thursday, December 3, 2009

Phone Call Etiquette 101

Recently I gave an old friend from Charlotte, NC my phone number so we could catch up and chat. Shortly after giving him my phone number he called me but I was busy getting ready for the next day and wasn’t in my room to hear my phone ring. I was feeling really tired so I turned my phone on silent and went to bed planning to call him back the next day. When I woke up that morning I saw that he had called me about 10 more times in 20 minute intervals throughout the night. This struck me as really odd and a bit creepy to be 100% real with you. The next day I had decided that I wasn’t going to call him back because he indeed seemed way too desperate to speak with me. He called about 11-12 times that night and had never left a message and if you don’t leave a message chances are it’s not an emergency. If it’s not an emergency there is no reason to call me incessantly all day and night when I don’t pick up the phone. I have a huge pet peeve and maybe it’s juvenile but I don’t really care. If you call me non-stop and don’t leave a message I won’t call you back. If you call me once and don’t leave a message I won’t call you back because in my mind, if you don’t leave a message you probably don’t have anything productive to speak about. To be honest half the time I don’t even recognize the numbers that call my phone because I lost my old phone with my entire contact list about 4 months ago. Focusing attention back onto my story, I was extremely busy Sunday evening because I was going to my Mom’s house with my sister for our belated Thanksgiving dinner. This man must have seriously called 30 times that day and I couldn’t be happier that I never indeed answered the phone. One, dude you’re like 500 miles away and the chances that I’d make an effort to see you next time I was in North Carolina is slim to none. Now that you’ve made it apparent you have stalker like qualities mixed with some sort of obsession disorder you chances of ever seeing me again don’t even exist. Two, if I don’t answer the phone leave a message and when I want to talk to you I’ll call you back. It was nothing personal at first, I just didn’t have time to sit and chat on the phone! Now that you’ve proven yourself psychotic you will never hear my voice at the end of the phone nor see me in the flesh ever again! Three, when you finally do leave a message don’t talk in the lowest possible voice so that no one can hear what you’re saying because I didn’t understand a word you said and you totally sounded like a perverted child molester. I’m sorry to sound harsh, but shit like that really irritates me. I can’t wait until I can finally get a new phone number.

No comments:

Post a Comment