Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Racism


A patient where I work today said the most vile and ignorant thing this morning. I’m sitting here doing my morning duties and he starts speaking to me from up the stairs. I was told I reminded him so much of his daughter. We started speaking and he mentioned how this Hispanic guy that comes to visit him used to date his daughter. I mentioned how nice that was and I told him I had met her current boyfriend that seemed like very nice guy. He went on to say “I can’t keep track of her boyfriends she’s had so many of them.” I responded by saying, “Us women can go through that dating phase.” He then brought up the fact the he was black and went on to say, “I’m from the old school and the old school thinks that is a down grade.” At this point I was shocked that I was hearing such ignorance although it didn’t surprise me. I merely responded with a calm and collected answer of, “Well we’re all human beings now aren’t we?” After that I didn’t utter a word. How truly ignorant this man must be.
What makes a Hispanic guy different than an African American guy first off? Then, what makes him so accepting of Hispanic and so opposed to an African Americans? You can tell his racism is directed to one group of people. I mean I could understand if he was Hispanic and didn’t like his daughter dating outside of that race (even though that wouldn’t be right either but at least it’d make more sense), but he’s Caucasian. I believe its people like him in this world that fuel this unrealistic hatred and spread it to others. Thank God his own daughter still continues to pursue what she feels is right and is dating the man anyways. I’m just so fed up with society and their double standards. I’m sick of prejudice and racist people.
I feel like people such as myself who can acknowledge that race is only related to where you come from and has nothing to do with the kind of person you are slowly but surely are a dying breed of people. I’ve always been a peaceful person when it comes to everything. I’ve been raised to respect people regardless of what they look like or where they come from and respect that everyone has their own different opinions and beliefs. So why other parents can’t instill those same morals and values in their children I have no idea. I think it’s selfish of parents to paralyze their children with such hatred because it’s only that hatred that will prevent them from greatness. No one ever excelled in life because of hate and greed. Eventually karma comes around and balances out what you deserve in life from what you have.
I believe though if you truly fight the good fight it won’t always be easy to get where you want to be in life, but when you get there you’ll know you got it because you deserved it. It’s the devil that makes the right way hard, but if you stay focused and have a strong faith you can get past the obstacles he throws your way. Life is really all about self discovery. God made it so that we had other people like us on this earth to help us learn and help us move forward and stay strong in our faith. We are far more powerful if we work together than against each other. Not every person you are going to meet will realize this and some people won’t be productive to who you are so you have to have good judgment in character.
It’s people whose faiths are compromised that are tools of the devil without knowing it sometime. They can severely misguide you from the right path. So stay focused, be patient and diligent in your faith and in the end you will be rewarded. Don’t always look to the most convenient solution because it’s sometimes cutting corners that get us in trouble. Even when it seems like hope is gone, remember even in darkness there is light.

No comments:

Post a Comment