Friday, May 14, 2010

The World Today

It’s discerning that basic morals and values seem to be just as scarce as the natural resources we’ve depleted. As each day passes it’s apparent that we are in what can be interpreted as the end of days. Just recently there was a massive explosion in the Gulf of Mexico which has led to the biggest oil spill in history leaking hundreds of thousands of oil into the ocean each day. Unfortunately all efforts to cap the oil leak have failed so gallons upon gallons of oil continue to spew into the ocean daily. The year 2010 hasn’t even reached its halfway point and already we’ve had a handful of natural disasters, murders involving innocent people, and even big businesses are contributing to the chaos by continuing to pollute the atmosphere around us.
Society has been led to believe that without money we are powerless. They’ve cornered us into poverty while at the same time dangling the idea of prosperity just far enough from our reach. Deep in my heart I don’t believe it has to be this way. For as long as I can remember I’ve always encouraged people to come together and to put aside our differences with the hope that together we can reclaim our future. However I fear that if we don’t do something soon our future and our time here on this earth will may be limited.
Unfortunately years of neglect and abuse have left our environment depleted and have set us on a crash course to total annihilation. I cannot say with any certainty that any of this can be undone as even scientists our doubtful. I do know however that the time we have left shouldn’t be used to fight amongst ourselves over the petty matters and materials we're arguing over now. No one person is exactly the same and to force someone into believing certain things or living a certain way is completely impossible. If we can’t embrace people for the goodness in their hearts and not for their differences they have we'll be bound by the ignorance we entertain.
Often times I get frustrated because this whole concept isn't hard to understand; at least I don't feel it is. I could hardly believe my ears when I was watching the news the other night to hear some guy shot this 23 year old man for letting his dog pee on his lawn. This man was so absorbed in his award winning lawn that he felt the extreme need to shoot another person for an animal merely doing what they've done for hundreds of thousands of years. If it were my award winning lawn and I was that uptight about it, I'd have purchased fencing to insure I didn't have to murder someone for something their animal might do. Unfortunately for this guy, the only grass he'll see is the grass in the yard at whatever prison he's incarcerated in. I can see it now, first day in general population... "What you in for?"... "2nd Degree Murder... killed a man... his dog peed on my lawn." Yeah Good Old Bubba is going to have a ball with that one! All I know is people have officially lost their minds! I don't know which is worse at times us or them...

No comments:

Post a Comment