Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Disappointment 101

Today I stray from my typical politically fueled blogs and focus on an issue that has been weighing on my mind. True friends are proving to be harder to acquire than I had originally anticipated; or so it seems. For a while now I’ve noticed that the only time people truly care is when it directly benefits them. Although I suppose I understand that in this day and age you have to look out for yourself, I don’t feel it’s appropriate to do so at another person’s expense. It disappoints me to know that despite the fact that I’ve been there for people during their hard times with a helping hand both mentally and at times monetarily, when it comes time for the favor to be returned (even something as simple as borrowing $20 bucks or needing a place to stay for the night) everyone has an excuse to turn their backs. (Whatever helps you sleep at night people!)

In a way I’m glad that things panned out the way they did, even though I ended up at the short end of the stick. I’m grateful to have learned a lesson from all of this. Do not give to those who cannot provide for themselves as a result of their apathetic attitudes. I am disappointed though, as it seemed at first that I had a great group of friends. Unfortunately when it came down to it my feelings and actions weren’t reciprocated. The funny thing about the whole situation is when I needed help, when I needed a place to stay, when I needed someone to talk to, no one was around, people where busy, people had other things to do. Then as soon as someone else needs something, my phones ringing off the hook and now I’m expected to stop what I’m doing and bend over backwards? Sorry but I just don’t get it.

I am sensitive and empathetic to the fact that we all have a lot going on with our lives especially in light of current events and the economy. I know it’s tough out there especially for people who weren’t as blessed as I was growing up. I just refuse to entertain that as a justification, because that justification is nothing more than a petty excuse to get away with something. You can sugar coat it all you want, but any person presented with the facts of what went down would tell me, “Felicia you’re being taken advantage of!” If it smells like a dog, barks like a dog, and acts like a dog, it’s probably a dog!

Let me make sure to say that I’m not writing this blog with the intent of putting anyone on blast which is why I’m not including any names or references to instances between those people. I’m merely venting my frustration with the situation and with the state of things today. All I can say is I tried and was disappointed. I can forgive but I can never wash away the negative feelings that tainted the relationship between myself and the parties involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment